Monday, November 19, 2012

Kentucky Fried

Blogger, Kentuckian, and all-around nice person Amanda Hervey let me share a post today on her site, A Lovely Place to Land. Since Amanda's blogging interests tend to focus on family and home, including home improvement/craft projects, cooking, and reflections on being a parent and a wife--roles she takes on in addition to working on a novel and freelance writing--I thought it would be appropriate to use her generously offered real estate to talk about food, specifically a cookbook of family recipes my mother assembled for me. Along the way, I discuss my feminism and how I've come to reconcile my earlier notions of what that meant with the pleasure to be found in cooking and sharing food.

Speaking of which, I just came off a rare and delightful weekend in which my husband, who has been very busy lately with work and setting up his backyard woodshop, spearheaded two major cooking projects. On Saturday, he used a recipe from a cookbook I picked up for a quarter at a book sale, Maria Polushkin's The Dumplin Cookbook, to make homemade gyoza. Reader, they were the bomb. And this cookbook, published in 1977, is pretty awesome, too--very easy to follow, and delightfully all over the place, with recipes from around the world united in their essential dumpling-ness. Good stuff.

Yesterday, he tackled fried chicken. For over two years now we've owned a Lodge cast iron frying skillet that we got specifically for the purpose of chicken-frying and have only used once or twice, and never to tackle bone-in chicken. You could say we kept chickening out. (Ba-dum-bum-ching. I'm here all night.) But we had some buttermilk left over from a couple of my cooking projects, and so we thought we'd get a two-fer, chicken and biscuits, out of what was left in the jug. Brandon took charge of the chicken and sweet tea. I covered the red-skinned mashed potatoes and biscuits.

Chicken frying in our honking Lodge skillet.
Biscuits. 

Final plate.

It's going to be a rough New Year.

1 comment:

applegac said...

Beautiful biscuits, beautiful chicken. You two should probably think about opening a southern restaurant. Once that backyard workshop is finished, I guess.